Wednesday, June 9, 2010

5 Weeks Since Surgery



Wow, the weeks are just flying by. Tomorrow marks 5 weeks since surgery. I'm still feeling great. I don't have any pain. I am, however, very tired of the surgical hooks, skeletal hooks and the rubber bands. My teeth always look dirty. Probably because of all the metal reflecting off my teeth. If one of those spring storms hit, I head inside real fast. I'm sure I'm a lightning rod.

I've lost 12lbs so far and holding. I eat a chocolate shake every night. I know that's coming to an end as soon as I get my clearance to eat real food. I better slow down now so that I don't gain too much weight. I actually would like to stay the weight I am now and not gain back the 12lbs. I don't know if that will happen.

I emailed a couple of pictures of my open lips to my OS. I heard back from the nurse who forwarded the pictures to him. He's in Thailand or something like that. I can't wait to hear back from him. I'm probably just worrying myself for no reason, but I just want to make sure. I also see my orthodontist tomorrow and maybe he can reassure me that things are ok.

The times I was most self-conscious of my jaw were at the grocery story(odd), driving, and sleeping. I would always try to posture my jaw so that it didn't look that bad. I haven't totally gotten over that yet because I still imagine my jaw being the way it used to be. So here is a picture showing why I felt that way. Oh, I hate my old profile. I really didn't want to post it. Yuck. But the good news is my new profile.

8 comments:

  1. June- you look simply amazing. A huge congrats to you. I can't even wait until my surgery and that is because of success stories such as your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do look amazing! Stories like yours do make me know I am doing the right thing. I have ?s!
    What is a disolvable splint? How does it disolve? Did you have your upper jaw moved forward, or up, or down? My ortho is talking about how my upper is not forward enough, not just my lower. Are you banded shut so you can't talk, or open very much? It doesn't look like you are, or were.
    My teeth seem to be moving very quickly to me, I see my ortho next week for first 8 week adjustment.
    thanks, Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi June!

    I'm a 29 year old female getting braced next month in prep for a BSSO and Lefort 1 surgery. I'm also in Colorado (Denver) and curious about your insurance coverage... can I ask which company provides your coverage? I'm going to have to take out private individual coverage in order to pay for this. :(

    If it's easier to email, my email address is thisiskatelynn (at) yahoo.com.

    Thanks!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments.
    Mamasjawsurgery - I'm excited for you. The whole process with go by quicker than you think.
    Louise - I wish I knew more about the splint. All I know is that they did a 3 piece Lefort and the splint was inside above my palate. The doc said it dissolves in 6 weeks. I don't even feel it. He says it's much easier than having a regular splint that gets gross after 6 weeks.

    I had my upper moved up 2mm and widen 4mm. My lower was brought forward 6mm. I wear rubber bands that I take out when I "eat". I can talk, but with clenched teeth like a ventriloquist. Without the bands I still can only open my mouth about 1 finger width. Hope this helps.
    Kate - I sent you an email. Let me know if you have other questions.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. June,
    the splint sounds so much better than the regular kind. How long will you be banded closed? Are you able to eat food with chunks in it, or just pure liquids? Can you brush your teeth effectively? sorry to be so nosy, but I'm trying to envision what I'll go through, even though it's a year away. I'm finally getting comfortable with my braces in my 7th week, and I know it's nothing compared to the surgery. My overbite is a class II maloclusion, but now the ortho says the top is also too shallow. I'll find out more next week.
    Thanks! Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. June,
    You do a really good job of keeping us updated on the process, I love your site and really appreciate your insight!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Louise. Wow, you're almost 2 months in your braces. Has it gone by fast? You know I was thinking about the splint and I forgot to tell you my surgeon fitted me with the splint before surgery by taking a warm piece of plastic and putting it in my palate and when it cooled it was shaped to fit me. He didn't put it in until surgery. I'm sure it's dissolved by now or close to it, but I can't even tell it was in.

    As far as eating goes, I can eat squishy food the kind that I don't need to chew. My new favorite is 4 Cheese Ravioli at Cali Pizza Kitchen. Yummy! I should get cleared to eat regular food in about 1 more week. That's when I get my surgical hooks off and skeletal wires out.

    Yes, I can brush my teeth by taking out my rubber bands. June

    ReplyDelete
  8. June, thanks for answering all my questions. I'll ask my OS about the splint, it sounds much better than the regular kind.
    best wishes, Louise

    ReplyDelete