Thursday, June 3, 2010

4 Weeks Since Surgery


I love the warm, lazy days of summer. I have been taking the kids to the pool and enjoying the beautiful weather. This is a picture of me and a friend of mine from elementary school. We've known each other for 40 years. Ahhhhh.

Now on to my jaw...

I can't believe it was a month ago that I had jaw surgery. I am so glad to have that behind me. Things are progressing as usual. My OS is still out of town, so I won't see him until July. I will see my orthodontist on June 10 to check my bite. I'm now only wearing 4 rubber bands. They are on my molars and I can get them in-and-out in about 30 seconds. That's way better than a week after surgery when it would take me about an hour to put 5 of them in. That was so painful with all the swelling.

I am getting daring with my food. Yep, I've tried microwavable Quiche Lorraine, Bread Bowls from Panera Bread, and anything I can put in my VitaMix. That blender is awesome. Today I did Pineapple Juice and my kids loved it. It's nice that my healing is during the summer when I can get all kinds of fresh produce.

I still can't feel my gums. It's weird to run my fingers across my gums and not feel a thing. I also can't tell if I have food stuck in my braces and as a matter of fact I can't tell where food is in my mouth when I'm eating. I push food around in my mouth until it goes one of two ways, down or out of my mouth. I still bite my lower lip on the right when I chew. I'm still numb on my chin; it feels like rubber when I touch it.

My lips still don't touch at rest. It worries me, but the nurse thinks it may be swelling and all the metal in my mouth that's stopping it. When I sleep my lips come together no problem, or so I'm told, but not when I'm awake. I don't understand that. My orthodontist did scare me a little the last time I saw him when he said, "don't worry, as you age your upper lip drops 1mm for every decade". Great, so I may have my lips touch by the time I'm 70. Well, it is definitely better than before.


4 comments:

  1. All things a side, you look great! Are you still glad you had the surgery done? I am on the same journey, and have been watching your progress since your surgery - which, by the way, I think is amazing and remarkable. I still laugh about your last comment about your husband being jealous about all the cards etc. Tell him I think he a hero for doing his procedure! (ha)
    Cheers,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya June,

    Looking good! Glad you're soaking up some sunshine, all that vitamin D does wonders for bone healing :)

    I've got gum numbness too, my otho told me that this will be the very last place to come back so i'm not expecting much change anytime soon, but it's best not to worry about things people are telling you at the moment, particularly regarding you lip - it's still very early in the healing process.

    At least the food is getting better for you though - and I think that being able to appreciate cake again makes all of this so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey June! You look AWESOME. It's crazy to think how much this changes a look. I keep looking at side by sides of your before pics. I don't know if me (or my kids) are prepared to see me look so different. How is your husband/kids reacting? Also, wanted to ask about your Vitamix. Am considering getting one but they are a little pricey. Which one do you recommend and did you purchase through their site?? Thanks, E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elishia. You know, my older son avoided me for a few days after surgery. I think it scared him. My younger one, age 9, didn't seem too bothered by it. But now, I think they are used to me looking different and they say they like it. My husband is so sweet - he just says he thought I was beautiful before and now. He knows how to stay out of the doghouse.
    I bought the Vitamix off their website. I got the 5200. It was very expensive. I have used it a lot! I don't think a regular blender could do all the blending I've done. I figured I could sell it on ebay if I ever decided I didn't want it. I do love it though. Also, I believe Costco sells a blender by a different brand that is very similar to the Vitamix. You could check that one out too. By the way, how are you?

    Discantus, thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll post a comment on your blog too. Hope you're doing well. June

    ReplyDelete