Thursday, September 16, 2010

Surprise, No Loose Screws


It came as a big surprise to my husband that I don't have a screw loose. He's just sure there's another one in there that's causing me to be so weird. I told him to just wait until he has a procedure and I'll tease him.

Today at 11:15 I walked into the OR to get my plates and screws removed just on the left lower jaw. I have to tell you, it was a piece of cake. They did give me gas to put me to sleep and a half trachea tube, and an hour later I was in recovery drinking apple juice. The doc did say the screws weren't loose, so that wasn't what caused the infection. He said a piece of food or some bacteria probably just got in the screw/plate. He said because of the infection the bone started to lay down more bone to cover the infection and he had to scrape the bone down.

I woke in recovery in pain which made me think the pain would only get worse, but it didn't. Actually, I feel fantastic now! I am still swollen in that spot, but I think removing the infection has already made me feel better. Or it could be all the Vicoden I've been taking. :-)

I've already taken the dog on a walk, made dinner(simple one) and cleaned the kitchen.

I am restricted to a cold liquid diet for 24hrs then I can progress to a soft diet for about 4-7 days depending on how I feel. Oh yea and I should feel good enough to go to the Bronco's game on Sunday! So excited. Anyway, you guys are all just awesome. Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and comments.

6 comments:

  1. Hi June!
    Great news, I so glad to hear all went well! I am glad to also hear that it was a piece of cake too!!
    Enjoy the game Sunday!!
    Regards,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I pray infection stays GONE! Glad you're so positive and it was a piece of cake! Take Care of yourself!

    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound great, June. I'm so glad to hear it was so simple. I hope you have a good time at the game!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. June,
    Glad to hear you're doing well! I'm already considering having the plate and screws on the right side, next to my nose, taken out...so I'm really happy to hear your story of what that's like!

    Stefane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having surgery on the 26th. I read your blog your day and found the updates helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thanks for sharing! I really have been wondering about how involved it is to have them removed! Glad to here it went so well and cleared up the problem you were having!

    ReplyDelete