Monday, August 2, 2010

3 Months


It's been about 3 months and I am feeling great. The feeling in my chin is almost 100% back. I still have a tiny bit of tingling when I touch it, but not much. The feeling in my palate and gums is coming back, just slowly.

At about 2 months I went through a period where I thought I looked really funny and fake. I felt like the doctor hadn't taken enough out of my upper gum and that he hadn't pulled my upper teeth back far enough. That was the first time in my recovery where I felt depressed. I felt like I had made a big mistake by not making it clear exactly what I wanted. I thought I might have to do the surgery again to get it "perfect".

Well, I think I have turned the corner on that. I finally had to compare my old pictures with my new ones and after that I remembered there was a hugh difference. I guess I couldn't remember exactly what I looked like. Weird, huh? I like the amount of gum that shows when I smile. I like my new chin. My lips do look better than they did. My smile is wider. (See, I have to remind myself.) Also, my swelling has gone down a little bit more so my lips almost touch. It's still not perfect, but better. I still have what looks to me like chipmunk cheeks. I'm hoping the swelling goes down on that. The surgeon did notice that and said sometimes the bone grows back thicker than before and they can shave that down. I don't think so! He wouldn't make that decision until after a year out. My left side is more swollen than my right side and sometimes it hurts when I push on it. Yea, I know...don't push on it.

I hope you all are doing well at whatever stage you're in. It really is all worth it!


5 comments:

  1. Hi June!
    Thanks for the update! You look just gorgeous I am glad that you are happy about your results. Also, good news on the numbness...I worry about that being so "old" even though 41 is the new 29...right!?
    Anyway, have a wonderful day and keep us updated!
    Cheers,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DO look great. Although you have me a little nervous...shaving your bone down??? Ugh, I would settle for chipmunk cheeks! Although, you do not have any. What did he say about the lips not touching? I know that is something that I will have an issue w/ as well. Are you happy you did the chin? I'm still debating. I'm also nervous about my lips changing. I like my "plump" lips and I've heard of the top lip changing shape. Trivial, I know when you're dishing out a lot of money....Thanks for your honest post!I hope you start to feel better and better all the time. XOXOXOXO E

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great your feeling is coming back! That's one of the things I'm concerned about...permanent numbness. I went to get my wire fixed, and I went through a torture session. My ortho tried 3 wires before she settled on one. She wanted a thicker one , but it wouldn't fit. I dread going there anymore. I guess we all have a lot of ups and downs in this process. Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya,

    Good to ready your latest post, I totally relate to the part about thinking you looked funny and fake. I've had times where i've looked in the mirror and thought I looked a bit ridiculous, as though i'm constantly pulling a stupid face. Can only assume this is a normal part of mental adjustment to the new face.

    So keep taking a day at a time and don't worry about too much, you're looking great as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I stumbled upon your blog today, and I have to say that your post surgery photos look really, really great! I'm nearing the 1 month post-op mark and was feeling a bit disheartened by the swelling that's stubbornly sticking onto my face. But seeing your photos and the progress you've made has reminded me that so much is ahead. Thank you so much for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete