Sunday, May 9, 2010

4 Days Post-op

Hi everyone. I'm sorry it's taken me a while to post, but I guess all these drugs make me so loopy. I'm actually doing pretty well. Pain isn't too bad. I have some pain in my upper teeth. I have lots of dried blood in my nose and it is so hard to get out. Any suggestions? I've used Ocean spray and qtips, but it's just really stuck up my nose.

I just want to post how the day of surgery went. I had to be in Denver at the hospital at 5:30. They took me back about 5:50am and got me dressed and an IV in. I was so scared I told them I think I changed my mind about the surgery. They let my husband back to talk to me and he was so comforting. The "gas" doctor came in an talked to me. He said they put a patch on my neck after surgery to stop the neausea. That really did help. I haven't felt sick at all. The OS and his assistant came in. The OS said they had been praying for me. He knew I was scared. Anyway, I said "ok, let's get this over with". The wheeled me into the OR about 7:45 and I couldn't believe how many people were there. I think it was 7-10 people. They talked to me for a second and that's all I remember. The surgery lasted 6 hours. He did the lower jaw first and that went until 10:00. I'm not sure what they did next but they fixed my turbinates in my nose. They said they were twice the normal size. They had a hard time getting my breathing tube in because my trachea was so small. The did a 3-piece Lefort. My upper jaw was pulled up 2mm and my lower jaw was moved up 6mm and then one side of my lower jaw was tiled 2mm and he fixed that. They took me to the Recovery Room and it was hard to wake me up. I was there 2 hours. I vaguely remember them talking to me. I was so out of it. I don't remember any pain waking up though, just really spacey.

I was able to breathe so much better the first few days. The surgery was done at Sky Ridge Hospital in Denver and they were all so great. The nurses were all attentive and I had a private room. It was all a fairly good experience considering what they did.

I came home the next day, Friday, and I feel better each day. Swelling is the worst part of it and it's hard to swallow. My throat hurt a lot. I do have pictures that I'll post. I am still really numb on chin and lower lip. My mom and husband have been taking such good care of me. My husband is a MD himself so he knows exactly how to care for me. I can't wait to feel normal again. It's hard to say right now that I'm happy I did it, but I think I will be happy in a couple of weeks. Maybe it's my age. Most people who do this are a lot younger than me. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm doped up on Vicodene.

3 comments:

  1. Hi June,

    Glad you're doing so well! I hate that dried nose blood too, my surgeon recommended inhaling steam from a bowl with a towel over my head so you might like to try that.

    Like the bit about changing your mind pre-surgery. Pretty sure everyone does that! Had there been a handy fire exit in the anaesthetic room chances are i'd have been off like a shot!

    Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made perfect sense! I'm not sure if it's being older or not but I can relate. And I do think we've all wanted to change our mind at one point or the other.

    Glad to hear that you are doing so well. How great you have your mom and your husband taking care of you...twice the love :)

    You will be soooo glad that you did it. It was so worth it! Look forward to seeing pics...especially the before and after that you will take in a few weeks.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. June,

    Glad to hear that you're doing well!

    It can be really tough to get that dried blood out (especially here in Denver, since the air is so dry!) I put some hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip and used that to clean out some of the blood. It worked pretty well, especially when I would take a hot shower first. I guess I combined the steam and the peroxide!

    Best of luck with the rest of your recovery! Everything will get better!

    <3 Stefane

    ReplyDelete