Thursday, May 20, 2010

Two Weeks Ago Today I was in Surgery



I can't believe it was 2 weeks ago that I went under the saw. I was so scared. Actually, today I can say I am glad I did it. I like my bite and that I can close my lips. I like that I can breath better too. The first week was really rough, but last week wasn't bad. I'm just getting tired of all this metal in my mouth and I miss eating bread and salad. I think if I could eat normal I would feel great.

I saw the OS yesterday and he took the staples out of my head. He said I looked great - no bruising and hardly any swelling. He thinks my bite is just about perfect. He said I need another 4-6 weeks of a liquid diet. I was prepared for 4 more weeks, but not 6. I'm not sure what he's thinking. He didn't change my band configuration, but I can remove them every day for about an hour. I still can't open my mouth enough to get much food in so I'm still on a liquid diet. When he looked in my mouth he found a stray rubber band. Isn't that embarrassing and gross? I guess I have so much stuff in there I didn't notice it.

I don't like my smile now, it looks stiff and my lips are tingly My eyes still look sunken because my face is swollen. I did put on makeup yesterday for the first time since surgery.

On more thing, I love my OS. He is a Board Certified Cosmetic Surgeon and General Surgeon, an MD and DDS. He's awesome.

8 comments:

  1. June- You look great! I am so happy for you. It is so much easier if you like your surgeon. It is great that he is a cosmetic surgeon as well! :) Where do you live?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, two weeks down, glad you're feeling happier now as those 'oh no' moments are truly awful.

    Don't MENTION bread to me, I'm missing it and chewing so much. 6 weeks of a liquid diet sounds harsh, but is there any wiggle room in the definition of 'liquid'? I'm already on mashed potatoes and scrambled egg - as long as it doesn't need chewing it's liquid as far as i'm concerned.

    Oh yes, I think a few weeks of a plasticky smile is normal, I definitely still look like a bit of a loony if I grin, but that's improving every day :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. It's so nice to talk to fellow brace faces. I live in Colorado Springs, but I went to Denver to my surgeon. He's only about 30 minutes from my house. He's from Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery.

    Yes, the first week I was worried I would never be normal again, but now that I feel much better I am so glad I did it.

    You know, I do have wiggle room for mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. I have a hard time opening my mouth very wide to even get it in. How are you doing it? Do you water it down too and use a spoon? Eggs really sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! I am glad you are doing well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good! There is hardly no swelling! Oh, and I like your top!

    Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! you look great, so glad you feel better
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi June,

    Hope the recovery is continuing well. If you're still interested in the mash and eggs, I use lots of milk to make a them into the consistancy of porridge, then sort of suck them in through the gap between my teeth. Sounds horrible but tastes ok!

    ReplyDelete